Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Day 29 of Lent: Loving God in the World of the Flesh

God saw everything that He had made, and indeed, it was very good.  Genesis 1:31

"and it was very good" proclaims the Genesis creation story.  Divine creativity permeates every dimension of reality.  The heavens declare the glory of God, and so do we.

Paul's affirmation that the body is a "temple of the Holy Spirit" is a call to see our bodies as media of divine revelation, worthy of love and care.  (I Cor. 6:19).  We love God in the world of the flesh by treating our bodies and others' bodies in ways that promote healing and wholeness.

We can rejoice in divine inspiration embodied within every heartbeat and thought, and we can recognize that as God's beloved children, our faith embraces our bodies as well as our minds, spirits, and relationships.

Affirm for yourself:
My body is the temple of God.
My body is beautiful.
Aging brings greater beauty to my mind, body, and spirit.
I love God by caring for my body in a healthy way.

Prayer:
Living God, inspire me with each breath.  When I reflect on the body that is your temple, I confess that I have often turned from health to disease by my diet, lifestyle, and attitudes.  I have forgotten the basic needs of others and the interdependence of our bodies.  Help me to live well and simply, to eat with gratitude, and to share my bounty with others so we might simply live and then live well and better by your grace.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment